Bonjour! My name is Danica Barreau (duh-NEE-kuh buh-ROH) and I’m the artist behind Pouka Fine Art Pet Portraits, dedicated to fine art animal portraiture since 1998.
My father is French, (as well as an artist and a gourmet cook) so I grew up overseas, spending my summers in France in a little town in the Loire Valley. During the school year we lived in Germany where my American mother was a teacher for military dependents.
I moved the US to attend university where I dreamt of being a successful architect until the reality of math and physics and my love of color and fabrics drove me into the arms of Interior Design. That affair lasted until the rent was due and then I took a corporate gig for a top telecom company. I now live in central Ohio with a very patient school teacher, trying to keep my home in some semblance of order while raising lots of dogs, cooking fine meals, and pursuing my passion for photography.
I started out as a traditional portrait artist, specializing in colored and graphite pencils and then transitioned to digital painting as the years progressed. I take the same approach when creating a pet portrait through photography as I do when drawing or painting – seeking out the perfect composition and drawing with light and colors to create an emotional response.
I’m a member of the Professional Photographer of Ohio and its parent organization, Professional Photographers of America.
- A benign but mischievous creature from Celtic mythology who is especially fond of social outcasts.
- The invisible 6’3″ tall rabbit from the 1950 comedy-drama movie entitled “Harvey” starring Jimmy Stewart.
- A nickname given to Danica by her father who apparently thought she had pouka-esque characteristics.
- 1st and 2nd place in “Artist” – PPO Fall 2016
- 3rd place in “Animal Portrait” – PPO Fall 2016
- Most Creative Image Award – PASO Fall 2016
- 1st place in “Fine Art – Other” – Arts in the Alley 2016
- Judge’s Award in “Fine Art – Other” – Arts in the Alley 2016
- Silver Medal in “Master Artist” – PPA International Photographic Competition 2016
- Loan Image in “Animal Portrait” – PPA International Photographic Competition 2016
- Merit Image in “Animal Portrait” – PPA International Photographic Competition 2016
- Top 10 Artist – PPA NorthEast Print Competition 2016
- 4/4 Merit Images in “Artist” – PPA NorthEast Print Competition 2016
- Top 3 Pet Photographer in Ohio – PPO Spring 2016
- Top 20 Portrait Photographer in Ohio – PPO Spring 2016
- 1st place in “Professional Commercial Photography” – Arts in the Alley 2015, 2016
- 2nd place in “Professional Portrait Photography” – Arts in the Alley 2013, 2014
- 2nd place in “Amateur Photography” – Arts in the Alley 2012
- Grand Easel Award – Arts in the Alley 2011
- Best in Photography Show – Arts in the Alley 2010
- People’s Choice in Photography – Arts in the Alley 2009, 2010
For fellow photographers:
I shoot with a crop-sensor Canon 7D Mark II. I use a Flashpoint Rovelight strobe as well as multiple Yongnuo and Canon flashes triggered with the Yongnuo 622 series. I use a variety of modifiers – a 5′ octo, a beauty dish, a strip box, a 2x3 softbox… whatever gets the results I need! I process my images in Adobe LR and PS using a Wacom Intuos tablet. My website is self-designed WP using a Divi theme and hosted by GoDaddy (since 1998).