Bonjour! My name is Danica Barreau (duh-NEE-kuh buh-ROH) and I’m the photographer behind Pouka Fine Art Pet Portraits and Pouka Real Estate Photography. I’m also the digital artist working in Atelier Barreau.
My father is French, (as well as an artist and a gourmet cook) so I grew up overseas, spending my summers in France in a little town in the Loire Valley. During the school year we lived in Germany where my American mother was a teacher for military dependents.
I moved to the US to attend university where I dreamt of being a successful architect until the reality of math and physics and my love of color and fabrics drove me into the arms of Interior Design. That affair lasted until the rent was due and then I took a corporate gig for a top telecom company. I now live in central Ohio with a very patient school teacher, trying to keep my home in some semblance of order while raising lots of dogs, cooking fine meals, and pursuing my passion for art and photography.
I started out as a traditional portrait artist, specializing in colored and graphite pencils. I fell in love with photography and then transitioned to digital painting as the years progressed.
I am a Certified Professional Photographer and a member of the Professional Photographer of Ohio and its parent organization, Professional Photographers of America.
- A benign but mischievous creature from Celtic mythology who is especially fond of social outcasts.
- The invisible 6’3″ tall rabbit from the 1950 comedy-drama movie entitled “Harvey” starring Jimmy Stewart.
- A nickname given to Danica by her father who apparently thought she had pouka-esque characteristics.
WHAT’S UP WITH ALL THE ENGLISH SETTER PHOTOGRAPHS?
Yes, I photograph a lot of English Setters. I rescued a very photogenic deaf English Setter (ACES Carter “Bunny” LeDoux) back in 2005 and documented his every move for years, using him to practice my photography skills. I became a foster parent and photographed my English Setter fosters and then volunteered to photograph other foster dogs. I have photographed many different breeds but my clients come from word of mouth; the English Setter community is very tight-knit so many of my subjects are English Setters.
I adopted another deaf English Setter in 2013 (DeCoverly’s Sparrow Georgette) and then another in 2014 (RoundRiver’s A. Finch) so they show up frequently in my personal images, Instagram, and Facebook posts. Click here for more information on Deaf English Setters.
For Fellow Photographers
I shoot with a crop-sensor Canon 7D Mark II. I use a Flashpoint Rovelight strobe as well as multiple Yongnuo and Canon flashes triggered with the Yongnuo 622 series. I use a variety of modifiers – a 5′ octo, a beauty dish, a strip box, a 2x3 softbox… whatever gets the results I need! I process my images in Adobe LR and PS using a Wacom Intuos tablet. My website is self-designed WP using a Divi theme and hosted by GoDaddy (since 1998).
- Two Honorable Mentions – PX3 – Prix de la Photographie de Paris 2017
- 1st Place in “Animal Portrait” – PPA NE District Grand Image Awards 2017
- Silver Medal for Pet or Animal Books – 2017 IPPY Awards – Independent Publisher
- Top 10 Photographer in Ohio – PPO Spring 2017
- Studio Pro Group Pictorial Award – PPO Spring 2017
- 1st and 2nd place in “Artist” – PPO Fall 2016
- 3rd place in “Animal Portrait” – PPO Fall 2016
- Most Creative Image Award – PASO Fall 2016
- 1st place in “Fine Art – Other” – Arts in the Alley 2016
- Judge’s Award in “Fine Art – Other” – Arts in the Alley 2016
- Silver Medal in “Master Artist” – PPA International Photographic Competition 2016
- Loan Image in “Animal Portrait” – PPA International Photographic Competition 2016
- Merit Image in “Animal Portrait” – PPA International Photographic Competition 2016
- Top 10 Artist – PPA NorthEast Print Competition 2016
- 4/4 Merit Images in “Artist” – PPA NorthEast Print Competition 2016
- Top 3 Pet Photographer in Ohio – PPO Spring 2016
- Top 20 Portrait Photographer in Ohio – PPO Spring 2016
- 1st place in “Professional Commercial Photography” – Arts in the Alley 2015, 2016
- 2nd place in “Professional Portrait Photography” – Arts in the Alley 2013, 2014
- 2nd place in “Amateur Photography” – Arts in the Alley 2012
- Grand Easel Award – Arts in the Alley 2011
- Best in Photography Show – Arts in the Alley 2010
- People’s Choice in Photography – Arts in the Alley 2009, 2010